Thursday 27 February 2014

Town Hall, Recreate for Drawing - Week 4

We should have had Life Drawing at the Town Hall this week, but second time of a 'no-show' from our model, I was hugely relieved!

After starting with a free coffee, courtesy of Re-create, and group Pinterest 'show and tell' session, we moved out around the building for drawing, following our individual ideas. I started upstairs by the Council Chambers, copying a piece of floor patterning, which I didn't like and then moved on to producing a rubbing of a crack in the floor and part of the mosaic at the top of the steps.



The cracks aren't just cracks, they're part of the Town Hall's story, it's journey since being built. I imagine all the feet and different styles of shoes that have walked over that particular spot, the different attitudes, feelings, what those people saw, thought and talked about and I wonder if other people notice them too.



This plaque is on the stairs commemorating those lost during the Second World War and includes the name of S.C. Todd, my husband's Great Uncle. I made a rubbing of this for our family and for Grandad Charlie, whom we sadly lost in 2011.



I then made another rubbing of a patch of plaster showing cracks, just the same as the area I had noticed on one of our first visits and realised it was similar in pattern to cracks in the surface of an oil painting in the Mayor's chambers.

If I had stopped to think about whether to do these, I doubt I would have done them, but hopefully this is of the past, a productive morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment