Tuesday 1 April 2014

Michael Landy was in the house!!! - Week 9

Started the morning by finishing my work on my acetone prints of John Cages' Lecture on Nothing, by adding my response with embossing. Trial and error I wet the paper and then used the flat bed press rather than rolling. Really pleased with the results. The embossing on top of the print actually looks as if its photographed on, I feel quite moved looking at them.



Just need them to dry, not difficult today in the sun. Then to lay them out along with my work on Town Hall surfaces ready for after lunch.

OMG today we had a talk by Michael Landy, how lucky were we. It was a real privilege for us, especially for those who had been able to see his Saints Alive exhibition last year, sadly i missed the trip whilst in Venice. His career began by sending in a piece of work to Take Hart with Tony Art at age 15, I too did the same, but wasn't lucky enough to have the work shown sadly.

He went through his career and his reasons for what he has done, especially for his Breakdown exhibition, a really difficult thing to do.


I have pinned images of his work on my Pinterest board.

A quick break for lunch and back to the Print room to our previously set out work for him to look through with us select few, nervous? Oh boy yes.


Me walking around nonchalently.



A sneaky selfie!



Gerrard, Chris, Louise (not me) and Jane.

Michael had seemed slightly nervous during his talk, but much more at home one-to-one. I felt really on edge talking about my work and probably babbled at him, poor man. Had slightly surreal conversation about washing machines, not really sure why now, passed in a bit of blur. But, at the same time it felt very comfortable standing talking with him, he seemed self assured, a really nice experience and a real honour, thank you UCS for arranging this and a huge thank you to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment